Outsider


I grew up in Northern Ireland and have been a teacher and lived in England, Ghana, Ireland, Northern Ireland, Malawi, Mexico, Colombia, The United Arab Emirates, Australia, Brunei Darussalam and Malaysia.

These are my memoirs which are arranged chronologically by year. Much is social commentary.

Aside from narrative recount, the style is often anecdotal, aphoristic and ironical. I try to soften the heavy social commentary with humour. Some friends have said I tend to 'rant' at times. I don't deny it! Perhaps it is the Irish in me. I apologise in advance then, if that is your impression too.

I do not intend to stereotype various nationalities but inevitably I will generalise for dramatic effect.

In a globalised multicultural world there is an urgent need to identify and face up to our national idiosyncracies and shortcomings. Nationalism has always seemed to me to be a bogus substitute for a genuine sense of connectedness and community. It is a highly dangerous concept when manipulated by politicians to get citizens to do things that are unpalatable to them-like going to war for instance.

If we don't begin to see ourselves as others perceive us - and not as we would like to see ourselves, then catastrophe looms.

I contend we can be comfortable with our heritage and still be able to criticize and even laugh at ourselves at the same time.


The two are not mutually exclusive.

Outsiders are in a unique position to show us our shortcomings because we simply cannot see them ourselves.

I believe that no culture has found the ideal 'solutions' to the challenges of life. Every culture I have lived in has both positive and disturbing characteristics.

In which cultures do people appear happiest? (notwithstanding natural and man-made disasters such as war and famine)

What question can be more profound than that?

The results may be surprising. In my experience, the happiest cultures were Ghana, Malawi, Mexico and Colombia. At the bottom of the list would be England, Ireland and Australia.

I think we need to learn from each other-not try to 'teach' each other...there is a big difference.

Please send me an E-mail if you would like to comment on anything.


Outsider


Outsider1952@gmail.com









Search This Blog

Retirement, Kota Kinabalu

Retirement, Kota Kinabalu
This is where I would like to be after I have robbed the bank

Winners and Losers

Winners and Losers
Debate 2008 Winners and Losers Editor at left.

Saturday, October 10, 2009

I Like Australia, Hockles, and Embarrassment migrating to Australia

I share accommodation with some quite charming and considerate people from China. They are a lot cleaner, tidier, more friendly and easier to live than I am.

That's for sure.

There is one thing which I find difficult to understand though.

It is what we call in Ireland the the 'Hockle'.


When I was growing up, a 'Hockle' in Ireland was when you scraped the back of your throat with the muscles of your larynx (and diaphragm). The action was accompanied by a thunderous noise which could be heard at some distance. As young boys we considered it OK to do it anywhere. We thought it was manly.

But here in this house of Chinese friends the sound reverberates right through the house and even I think probably next door. Moreover, here the hockle always comes from the bathroom.

I must say the images in my mind which the hockling generates are quite disgusting.

I am indeed too embarrassed to say anything of course.

Talking of embarrassment my wife actually asked me to remove my Aussie hat yesterday before we went in to the Latin American dance. This I see as a positive sign for our relationship as she clearly cares enough about me not to want to see me embarrass myself. (There is of course an alternative explantion -that she did not want to feel embarrassed by me. But I choose not to believe that.)

Thirdly,

The other day I found myself telling my son that I like Australia and feel more at home here than I did in Melbourne or Brisbane.

It is true.

Followers of my blog will know that this is a quite remarkable development.

Not only that but I am beginning to feel comfortable here in a way I have not felt anywhere.

EVER!

And this in spite of all our 'adjustment' problems.

I am intending to write an article about setting up a service for newly arrived migrants in Australia. I don't mean refugees -just your average family arriving as a migrant (even for Aussies arriving from another city). I think there is a need for many things for the new migrant - from information on how to handle immigration , medicare, opening a bank account, renting a house without referees, joining a library or video club, getting a driving license, how to board a bus without being injured etc; to the setting up of social networks not based on sport for new migrants.

I know of the Migrant Resources Centre-but I mean something more simple and personal-the basic start-up greeters pack which would help you survive the first three hellish months of living in this country-and perhaps the nine dreadful ones after that.

When you first arrive what is needed is the personal touch-not a map, flyers and to be told to go and look something up on a website.

I intend to set something up myself as a volunteer first with a couple of other interested parties. So, if you are interested-please let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment