Outsider


I grew up in Northern Ireland and have been a teacher and lived in England, Ghana, Ireland, Northern Ireland, Malawi, Mexico, Colombia, The United Arab Emirates, Australia, Brunei Darussalam and Malaysia.

These are my memoirs which are arranged chronologically by year. Much is social commentary.

Aside from narrative recount, the style is often anecdotal, aphoristic and ironical. I try to soften the heavy social commentary with humour. Some friends have said I tend to 'rant' at times. I don't deny it! Perhaps it is the Irish in me. I apologise in advance then, if that is your impression too.

I do not intend to stereotype various nationalities but inevitably I will generalise for dramatic effect.

In a globalised multicultural world there is an urgent need to identify and face up to our national idiosyncracies and shortcomings. Nationalism has always seemed to me to be a bogus substitute for a genuine sense of connectedness and community. It is a highly dangerous concept when manipulated by politicians to get citizens to do things that are unpalatable to them-like going to war for instance.

If we don't begin to see ourselves as others perceive us - and not as we would like to see ourselves, then catastrophe looms.

I contend we can be comfortable with our heritage and still be able to criticize and even laugh at ourselves at the same time.


The two are not mutually exclusive.

Outsiders are in a unique position to show us our shortcomings because we simply cannot see them ourselves.

I believe that no culture has found the ideal 'solutions' to the challenges of life. Every culture I have lived in has both positive and disturbing characteristics.

In which cultures do people appear happiest? (notwithstanding natural and man-made disasters such as war and famine)

What question can be more profound than that?

The results may be surprising. In my experience, the happiest cultures were Ghana, Malawi, Mexico and Colombia. At the bottom of the list would be England, Ireland and Australia.

I think we need to learn from each other-not try to 'teach' each other...there is a big difference.

Please send me an E-mail if you would like to comment on anything.


Outsider


Outsider1952@gmail.com









Search This Blog

Retirement, Kota Kinabalu

Retirement, Kota Kinabalu
This is where I would like to be after I have robbed the bank

Winners and Losers

Winners and Losers
Debate 2008 Winners and Losers Editor at left.

Saturday, September 5, 2009

2001-2008 Brunei Diary june-july 2001 part 3 nightmares and Gangs



Maria:  my own employer CFBT had told us told us in Brisbane that Mari would get a job of with them when she arrived in Brunei. They then changed their mind when she got to Brunei. M then was offered a job with a local private school, al falaah, teaching English in primary .

Two months later CFBT took over this school, reemployed her on a casual basis and at one third the salary she would have been getting with a proper contract at CfBT.

The reality is that she did not get  these positions because she was not an anglo Celtic 'native speaker of English' . The Ministry of Education in Brunei would not accept CFBt teachers who were not native speakers of English. If she had been of Anglo celtic saxon origin she would have been snapped up by both schools, ISB and the Jerudong international school,  either as a Spanish teacher or a primary teacher .

This is a fact that no one can deny no matter how much it is dressed up in other language.

Friday, July 27, 2001

sometime, it seemed to me that the more seriously you take your job the more dangers there are to survival in Brunei.

This is very sad. I once  spent three to four hours of my free time in school over the past two days trying to get my class to watch a video. I was thwarted at every turn by incompetent technicians and administrators The administrators didn't want the video machine  to be used because they didn't think it was 'real teaching'. Real teaching for them is doing grammar exercises or calculations.  I finally managed it but not without nearly losing my temper and damaging my professional relationships with local colleagues.



Friday, August 17, 2001

.

We had a successful trip to Labuan for a week and my son's  girlfriend  came with us for two days. She seemed a nice girl and we were very pleased that she had met Roger her who would have been very lonely otherwise in this first year in Brunei . I can't help thinking how different his  adolescence has been from mine. Certainly I think it has been a a great improvement on mine! My Mum and Dad were never able to enjoy the pleasure of seeing their son's girlfriend at such close quarters.

In fact I never saw them either, because I never had any girlfriends in my adolescence

Sunday, September 02, 2001

 One day we  got some very bad news about ten days ago . CfBT phoned this at 6 p.m. on Saturday night to tell Maria that she should not go to work on Monday because the school, like cfbt,  had decided only to employ native speakers.

I was livid. She was only given 24 hours notice –and only a phone call!  She should have been invited in to meet with some CfBT officers. Her line managers did not say a word to Maria either before or after this shocking news. I wrote several letters to CfBt about it..

We were, by this time accustomed to the the ignorance underpinning this policy of the Ministry of the Ministry of Education'.



 

Thursday, July 05, 2001

Here it is then : the distillation of a career. These were my thoughts when still at Menglait, before I moved to Maktab Sains....

 As a family I've had to stay on the international circuit in order to  provide bread and butter for myself and my family. As a positive bi product of this, we have been  able get to know and enjoy many cultures 

 

What it has come down to in my case is that in each project, and for each project read "country" that I've been, there has often been a 'crunch' point

At this crunch point, sometimes, I have been prepared to sell my principles more than other times in order to survive and hence provide bread and butter for myself or my family. But I would like to think that I have not ever sold my self to the extent that I became a complete cynic. This cynicism, I  often  observed in the   expatriates around me. Financially,  we were therefore never  as well-off as  many of our contemporaries.

The basic equation never seems to change. In Ghana, in my first job, I was ready to resign after six weeks when I realized I was contributing to the rural depopulation of the village of Wa! I hung on because i was single and enjoying myself

Thirty years later, in Brunei I was always close to resigning many   because I couldn't tolerate the dysfunctionality of the system. But I survived for 9 years.

What  happened  in between?


If I look at each place I've been in, there are some similarities. 

At King's Hospital School in Dublin I was dissatisfied with the Principal and his corrupt little regime of staff bullies. They didn't like me, anyway. I was single

At Methodist college in Belfast I was dissatisfied because I was not fulfilling my ambition to explore other cultures.I was single.

In Malawi, I was dissatisfied with the rigid system of the nuns. I was single

 

In Colombia I was dissatisfied with corruption. I was fired without cause

In Mexico I was dissatisfied with nepotism.

In Dubai I was dissatisfied with corruption. They didn't like me.

In Melbourne Australia I was dissatisfied with corruption. I survived longer than all other senior administrators in the school's history.

 

In Brisbane, I lasted for 6 years, but,  I was about to lose my job


In all cases, I resigned. It was just a question of how long I lasted.

 

but in Brunei, it was not possible to resign for various  reasons: firstly,  because the children had to finish high school, and secondly,  secondly, it wasn't fair on Maria who, understandably was fed up, like myself, with moving. Thirdly, I was getting older and less and less employable. Once you were over 55 as a teacher, it became very difficult for me to get a job anywhere, even with an educational doctorate and three Masters degrees doctoral degree. nobody told me. I found it out for myself the hard way

 

So, I had to stay for 9 years in Brunei

The first few years  in Brunei were much better than in Australia, in so many ways. The children were doing well at school. Maria and I both had jobs, but somehow, I still felt anxious. The doctor told me I had become addicted to the stressful life in Australia. He wasn't a widely respected GP, but I liked him well enough. He said my body had become addicted to adrenalin. So, In the early years in Brunei, with less stress,  I was experiencing 'withdrawal' symptoms from lack of Adrenalin! . That is why, he said, i felt depressed. Maybe it sounds a bit Irish, but it seemed logical enough to me at the time, and I couldn't think of a better  explanation.

But he definitely did the wrong thing: he started me in Xanax to help me relax. This is an anti-anxiety drug which worked very well for me during the day when i was working. It calmed me down. But i started using it at night to get me to sleep.  I woke up after 4 hours and that was not enough sleep if I had to  work the next day . The problem was it was highly addictive, so after about 2 years at Menglait I was addicted to Xanax and had to take more and more. There were side effects of Xanax.

The stress levels increased as the nine years progressed, as we started to think about where the children would go after they left high school, and what we would do when CFBT finally terminated me.
'




No comments:

Post a Comment