Outsider


I grew up in Northern Ireland and have been a teacher and lived in England, Ghana, Ireland, Northern Ireland, Malawi, Mexico, Colombia, The United Arab Emirates, Australia, Brunei Darussalam and Malaysia.

These are my memoirs which are arranged chronologically by year. Much is social commentary.

Aside from narrative recount, the style is often anecdotal, aphoristic and ironical. I try to soften the heavy social commentary with humour. Some friends have said I tend to 'rant' at times. I don't deny it! Perhaps it is the Irish in me. I apologise in advance then, if that is your impression too.

I do not intend to stereotype various nationalities but inevitably I will generalise for dramatic effect.

In a globalised multicultural world there is an urgent need to identify and face up to our national idiosyncracies and shortcomings. Nationalism has always seemed to me to be a bogus substitute for a genuine sense of connectedness and community. It is a highly dangerous concept when manipulated by politicians to get citizens to do things that are unpalatable to them-like going to war for instance.

If we don't begin to see ourselves as others perceive us - and not as we would like to see ourselves, then catastrophe looms.

I contend we can be comfortable with our heritage and still be able to criticize and even laugh at ourselves at the same time.


The two are not mutually exclusive.

Outsiders are in a unique position to show us our shortcomings because we simply cannot see them ourselves.

I believe that no culture has found the ideal 'solutions' to the challenges of life. Every culture I have lived in has both positive and disturbing characteristics.

In which cultures do people appear happiest? (notwithstanding natural and man-made disasters such as war and famine)

What question can be more profound than that?

The results may be surprising. In my experience, the happiest cultures were Ghana, Malawi, Mexico and Colombia. At the bottom of the list would be England, Ireland and Australia.

I think we need to learn from each other-not try to 'teach' each other...there is a big difference.

Please send me an E-mail if you would like to comment on anything.


Outsider


Outsider1952@gmail.com









Search This Blog

Retirement, Kota Kinabalu

Retirement, Kota Kinabalu
This is where I would like to be after I have robbed the bank

Winners and Losers

Winners and Losers
Debate 2008 Winners and Losers Editor at left.

Saturday, August 8, 2009

A1 Brisbane 1994 Kooralbyn International school

Why Brisbane? Well,  Maria hated the Victorian climate and so did I. but, more importantly, I wanted out of  science teaching and administration and management in international schools. I was not suited to management.I had contacts with an international school in Brisbane and they wanted an ESL teacher. So, I accepted. 

This school had a mainstream of Aussies and the overseas students  were just there to bring in revenue to the school. The word was that in Queensland there were a lot of Language schools for foreign students. Foreign students were polite, hardworking  and fun.

I had to make a reconnaissance trip to Brisbane on my own first. I flew up and stayed with friends of my brother , who were I think a little bemused at our plans. I had no idea where to go. I went to a few estate agents on the South side close to the school but and didn’t like the look of them much. Eventually, I took a place very close to my friends place' in  Northgate –in an old and pretty grim Queenslander. My (flawed)  thinking was that we would be better off being close to someone we knew. The problem was it was one and a half hours drive from the school which was way, way  south of the city.

I flew back to Melbourne, and we packed up as quickly as we could. We headed north out of Melbourne for the sun in ‘Bluey”, our 1982 Falcon-loaded with stuff and three kids. R was 6 , Serge 4 and J still a baby. I bought a pair of polaroid clip-on sunglasses for the drive. I don’t remember much of the trip except that it took three days and two nights and the weather slowly improved as we headed north. The kids were magnificent. They slept practically the whole way.

When I saw 25 Hall Street again in Brisbane I was disappointed–and I think Marie was, too. It really was shabby –and the location wasn’t great. Nevertheless, Roger went to Northgate Primary and I went to the international school  every day. Marie did a sterling job keeping  everything going at home.

September 1994

The nightmare continued..!. Professionally, this was my first real stab at ESL teaching and I was nervous. It was very different from science teaching. I could see that it would take time for me to adapt my teaching style. It was a real ‘Baptism of Fire’. The school was in financial trouble and was trying to save itself by importing Koreans worth 20,000 dollars each to the boarding department. This was a great idea except that the Koreans were street fighters-‘new money’ from Seoul. The spawn of the Korean ‘Tiger’. They were absolutely revolting! They were immature and rude ..very  unlike most other Koreans I have met before or since. Most Koreans I have met are very polite and  hardworking The HOD was very apologetic to me .. and together we worked out a plan to tame these 'wild' Koreans.

After a few weeks we decided to expel two of them on a Friday! The Head agreed and we thought that was that. Job done!

But no!

On the  Monday when we came back to school the Head had changed her mind!

The HOd and I were devastated. I knew what this meant. They would be hell from here on – and they were!

A few days later the head of Discipline-the husband of the Headmistress, sidled up to me sheepishly  muttering  “Sorry about that Korean thing-they are worth 20,000 dollars each”.

That was the bottom line with that school.

They also had serious trouble between the Japanese and the Koreans in the boarding house. They used to line up and fight each other having pitched battles on the football field. I remember thinking ruefully maybe we hadn’t done so badly in Melbourne  after  all. We never had trouble like that

One particular incident sticks in my mind… I was asked to do a relief class in the main school –  an eighth grade high school class of Aussies. As I entered I immediately spotted a little knot of trouble at the back in the form of boisterous  youths who wouldn’t sit down, keep quiet, open their books or   even write down the instructions for their work.

Eventually. I asked one of them to come up to the front with his book so I could get his name. (I wanted to report him to the regular teacher)  If I had asked him for his name he would have given me a false one. I was sitting down and he turned round to face the class and then parked his bum on my desk in  front of my face. I pushed him off and he went squealing out of the room like a little pig screeching.... He told the  Head of Discipline that I had 'touched' him!

After school the Head of Discipline called me in and gave me a warning! “Don’t ever touch a student in this school again” I protested that the boy had invaded my personal space.The Head of discipline wasn't interested. There was only three weeks left on my contract till the end of term so I didn't say anything more.

Ironically,  a few  years later later when I was working at a language college, this same head of discipline turned up at the photocopier. He pretended not to know me. It turned out that the school had gone bust and he was unemployed! The Koreans, even at a 20,000 each apparently hadn't saved the school. I wasn't really surprised.

 Back to the story: I felt humiliated and that was it, as far as I was concerned. I had only three weeks left on my contract and I determined to look for work in a language college with adults.  At this school,  I remember actually walking into my ESL class and hardly even talking to those spoiled brats  who were completely ignoring me anyway. It was almost surreal! I would put on a video such as ‘The Lion king’ and just sit there, almost  sulking. That is the only time in my career  I have been reduced to doing that–a lesson in which I did not try, and hardly spoke!

This school collapsed in 2000  due to financial mismanagement.

Another winning choice for Nixon!.

No comments:

Post a Comment