Outsider


I grew up in Northern Ireland and have been a teacher and lived in England, Ghana, Ireland, Northern Ireland, Malawi, Mexico, Colombia, The United Arab Emirates, Australia, Brunei Darussalam and Malaysia.

These are my memoirs which are arranged chronologically by year. Much is social commentary.

Aside from narrative recount, the style is often anecdotal, aphoristic and ironical. I try to soften the heavy social commentary with humour. Some friends have said I tend to 'rant' at times. I don't deny it! Perhaps it is the Irish in me. I apologise in advance then, if that is your impression too.

I do not intend to stereotype various nationalities but inevitably I will generalise for dramatic effect.

In a globalised multicultural world there is an urgent need to identify and face up to our national idiosyncracies and shortcomings. Nationalism has always seemed to me to be a bogus substitute for a genuine sense of connectedness and community. It is a highly dangerous concept when manipulated by politicians to get citizens to do things that are unpalatable to them-like going to war for instance.

If we don't begin to see ourselves as others perceive us - and not as we would like to see ourselves, then catastrophe looms.

I contend we can be comfortable with our heritage and still be able to criticize and even laugh at ourselves at the same time.


The two are not mutually exclusive.

Outsiders are in a unique position to show us our shortcomings because we simply cannot see them ourselves.

I believe that no culture has found the ideal 'solutions' to the challenges of life. Every culture I have lived in has both positive and disturbing characteristics.

In which cultures do people appear happiest? (notwithstanding natural and man-made disasters such as war and famine)

What question can be more profound than that?

The results may be surprising. In my experience, the happiest cultures were Ghana, Malawi, Mexico and Colombia. At the bottom of the list would be England, Ireland and Australia.

I think we need to learn from each other-not try to 'teach' each other...there is a big difference.

Please send me an E-mail if you would like to comment on anything.


Outsider


Outsider1952@gmail.com









Search This Blog

Retirement, Kota Kinabalu

Retirement, Kota Kinabalu
This is where I would like to be after I have robbed the bank

Winners and Losers

Winners and Losers
Debate 2008 Winners and Losers Editor at left.

Saturday, January 2, 2016

2016 Student false beliefs B I know best


I know best
One of the greatest advantages of teaching adults is of course that their behaviour in class is generally much more easy to manage than adolescents. We all agree on that. They also are generally quite well motivated–at least extrinsically (if not intrinsically)  by the need to achieve an immediate goal–such as gain entry to University or pass a test to qualify as a Doctor or a Nurse (Occupational English Test  or the IELTS test)

However, there are also many, many disadvantages of teaching adults as they have so many misconceptions about the learning  process itself. Often these stem from the ‘learning’ experience they have had in their home countries both as a child and as an adult

Lets start with the most general misconceptions



‘I know how to learn best’



The new learner arrives in Australia full of enthusiasm and apparent cooperation and goodwill to everyone –including the teacher -. But, in my experience, if the student finds the learning difficult this can all evaporate quite quickly. When I have scratched below the surface I find things are different to how they first appeared: I  have found that many adults thinks they know better than I do how to learn English.

Neither the fact that I can speak English perfectly nor the fact that I have a list of  teaching qualifications as long as your arm., nor even  my 40 years of experience of teaching  seem to impress.  The human ego is so powerful it is quite unmoved by any of that.

‘I know how I learn English better than you because I know myself’  Its as simple is that!

This means that I have to waste a lot of time getting the new learners to trust me–to believe in me. It can take days, weeks, even months, and sometimes it never happens. Often they are only really beginning to believe in me as the course ends (after 3 months).

Even the strong students who pass easily don’t really credit me because they all think they know how to learn better than I do! When they pass–they think it is because of their natural ability–and little to do  with the teacher! In reality even many of these strong students don’ t have the necessary skills to be autonomous  learners because they still retain so many mistaken beliefs about the learning process. But a really major mistaken belief is that they know better how they can learn than the teacher does.

 Why is this? Well-it could be the subject of  research but I suggest that it is often to do with the way in which these students are taught-or perhaps not taught - in their home countries. The pedagogy is so dry and, methodology and style of teaching are often didactic and  passive .  Although they are obliged  to “respect the teacher’ to his face,  it is not a surprise to me that they arrive in Australia with a subconscious belief that teachers really don’t know what they talking about! Every human being has a bullshit detector!

Younger high school students are usually more humble and more trusting of the teacher-they actually believe the teacher can teach them. But adults are much more cynical: even though the teacher has  good status in many of their countries of origin, the  English teacher has relatively lower status than that of Doctors, Engineers  Accountants and IT professionals: their target occupations.

 There is little that can be done about this particular mistaken belief,but I think it helps the teacher to be  aware of it.


No comments:

Post a Comment