Outsider


I grew up in Northern Ireland and have been a teacher and lived in England, Ghana, Ireland, Northern Ireland, Malawi, Mexico, Colombia, The United Arab Emirates, Australia, Brunei Darussalam and Malaysia.

These are my memoirs which are arranged chronologically by year. Much is social commentary.

Aside from narrative recount, the style is often anecdotal, aphoristic and ironical. I try to soften the heavy social commentary with humour. Some friends have said I tend to 'rant' at times. I don't deny it! Perhaps it is the Irish in me. I apologise in advance then, if that is your impression too.

I do not intend to stereotype various nationalities but inevitably I will generalise for dramatic effect.

In a globalised multicultural world there is an urgent need to identify and face up to our national idiosyncracies and shortcomings. Nationalism has always seemed to me to be a bogus substitute for a genuine sense of connectedness and community. It is a highly dangerous concept when manipulated by politicians to get citizens to do things that are unpalatable to them-like going to war for instance.

If we don't begin to see ourselves as others perceive us - and not as we would like to see ourselves, then catastrophe looms.

I contend we can be comfortable with our heritage and still be able to criticize and even laugh at ourselves at the same time.


The two are not mutually exclusive.

Outsiders are in a unique position to show us our shortcomings because we simply cannot see them ourselves.

I believe that no culture has found the ideal 'solutions' to the challenges of life. Every culture I have lived in has both positive and disturbing characteristics.

In which cultures do people appear happiest? (notwithstanding natural and man-made disasters such as war and famine)

What question can be more profound than that?

The results may be surprising. In my experience, the happiest cultures were Ghana, Malawi, Mexico and Colombia. At the bottom of the list would be England, Ireland and Australia.

I think we need to learn from each other-not try to 'teach' each other...there is a big difference.

Please send me an E-mail if you would like to comment on anything.


Outsider


Outsider1952@gmail.com









Search This Blog

Retirement, Kota Kinabalu

Retirement, Kota Kinabalu
This is where I would like to be after I have robbed the bank

Winners and Losers

Winners and Losers
Debate 2008 Winners and Losers Editor at left.

Friday, June 19, 2009

Bossy Real Estate agents in Adelaide, Get stuffed!

Yes...I did Google real estate agents in South Adelaide to see if there was such a thing as a house with four bedrooms for sale for less than 250.000. Not that there is a remote chance of being offered a loan on my salary.

Why did I do it?

Just in case, you know... I mean you never know.. we might win the lottery and be able to afford a deposit.

Actually, I called the agent because I have nothing else to do with my time other than dream and complain.

So, what happened?

I had to answer some 'online questions' and.. Lo and behold! the heavens open and the next thing I know I get inundated with E-mails and phone calls.

'Emma' just won't leave me alone.

She calls me in the middle of class.

The same the next day, and the next , and the next.

On each call it is..

"This is Emma" with that grating and over- familiar tone Australians use when introducing themselves to a complete stranger (something they have been trained to do formally by the company , and now has become part of Australian culture. They think this is being 'assertive', and therefore a good thing.).

"I am calling regarding your enquiry about real estate..."

It is the same tone bossy women habitually use in Australia to "command" complete strangers to shut up and listen to them, whatever may be the context. the tone is intimidating and she thinks using this tone means she will not be interrupted...

It still takes me by complete surprise, even after twenty years. you would think I might  be used to it by now.

"Wait a minute Emma," I say, "I hope you are not going to ask me a lot of personal questions."

She now takes offence, which was her original intention of course. This gives her the moral high ground and the right to intimidate me further.

"No, I'm not interested in your personal life at all ...she goes on... but I will need to know some of your financial details if you want to get a loan" she says

"Ok Emma" I say. "No thanks".

I end the call.

Why can't I ask the questions first?

Why does the real estate agent, and every other Tom, Dick and Harry, think they have the right to ask me a string of questions before I am allowed to ask them one?

I'll tell you why. Because they don't want to answer any of my questions. They want to find out if I have any money before I waste their time talking to me.

Hotels, Doctors, Dental, school or real estate receptionists, whoever it may be -they are all the same- they want to use my time without me wasting theirs.

They want to use me.

They are all rude.

So, Emma!

Although you may not be aware of yourself (Don't take it personally) I have an urgent message for you and the thousands of others out there who use their 'assertive' manner to try and intimidate innocent punters like myslef on the telephone:

Get STUFFED!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment