Outsider


I grew up in Northern Ireland and have been a teacher and lived in England, Ghana, Ireland, Northern Ireland, Malawi, Mexico, Colombia, The United Arab Emirates, Australia, Brunei Darussalam and Malaysia.

These are my memoirs which are arranged chronologically by year. Much is social commentary.

Aside from narrative recount, the style is often anecdotal, aphoristic and ironical. I try to soften the heavy social commentary with humour. Some friends have said I tend to 'rant' at times. I don't deny it! Perhaps it is the Irish in me. I apologise in advance then, if that is your impression too.

I do not intend to stereotype various nationalities but inevitably I will generalise for dramatic effect.

In a globalised multicultural world there is an urgent need to identify and face up to our national idiosyncracies and shortcomings. Nationalism has always seemed to me to be a bogus substitute for a genuine sense of connectedness and community. It is a highly dangerous concept when manipulated by politicians to get citizens to do things that are unpalatable to them-like going to war for instance.

If we don't begin to see ourselves as others perceive us - and not as we would like to see ourselves, then catastrophe looms.

I contend we can be comfortable with our heritage and still be able to criticize and even laugh at ourselves at the same time.


The two are not mutually exclusive.

Outsiders are in a unique position to show us our shortcomings because we simply cannot see them ourselves.

I believe that no culture has found the ideal 'solutions' to the challenges of life. Every culture I have lived in has both positive and disturbing characteristics.

In which cultures do people appear happiest? (notwithstanding natural and man-made disasters such as war and famine)

What question can be more profound than that?

The results may be surprising. In my experience, the happiest cultures were Ghana, Malawi, Mexico and Colombia. At the bottom of the list would be England, Ireland and Australia.

I think we need to learn from each other-not try to 'teach' each other...there is a big difference.

Please send me an E-mail if you would like to comment on anything.


Outsider


Outsider1952@gmail.com









Search This Blog

Retirement, Kota Kinabalu

Retirement, Kota Kinabalu
This is where I would like to be after I have robbed the bank

Winners and Losers

Winners and Losers
Debate 2008 Winners and Losers Editor at left.

Saturday, June 20, 2009

Chatting and flying pigs in Adelaide

One of the advantages of being lonely in Adelaide is I almost always have time.

I can't fill my time.

Is this because I'm lazy?

No, I don't think so. Even though I work and volunteer with three agencies every week, I still have a lot of time on my hands.

No-one else seems to have time.

Whether it is at work, in the shops, or at the gas station or at the medical centre or even with the doctor herself, it is always a case of rushing and feeling under pressure to finish the encounter, to complete the 'transaction'.

I feel I am imposing on the time of everyone I meet.

Even with friends I feel I am always interrupting them. They are always either just finishing something or about to do something else, or both. They are somehow 'squeezing me in' to their busy schedule. It makes me feel uncomfortable. This was the same in Northern Ireland and England, but less so in the Republic of Ireland-especially the rural areas such as Donegal

It was also not the case in other cultures. In Africa, for example in Ghana and Malawi and to a lesser extent in parts of Asia where I have lived, the greatest honour that could be bestowed upon anyone was to receive an unannounced visit by a stranger or friend. When I did this the whole household would stop what it was doing for a while and and receive the visitor. This was not just a ritual welcome -it was a genuine feeling of being honoured by the visit. To a certain extent the same was true of Mexico and Colombia.

This is what I think we have lost in the 'west'. It seems to be a characteristic which accompanies the process of development.

Why? I don't know.

But the qestion of how is easier to answer.

It is a question of values and priorities I think.

I suppose partly it is because time is money in the west. Everyone, wants time to make more money and buy more material comforts. But it is surely more than this. In western culture (and Australia), it seems like people value other activities more than just communicating casually with a friend, acquaintance or a stranger. Chores of course have to be done but some people seem to value the work they do as more important than maintaining acquaintanceship or friendships.

But I think there is even more to it. I think many people in the west just value any activity -no matter how mindless or boring -in order to avoid the reflection on their own values which 'chatting' with an acquaintance or stranger necessarily involves.

TV is a good example, but I can think of others

I think of the Pubs with 'Pokie' machines that open at six in the morning in Adelaide to receive the lonely people who have no-one to chat to.

A lot of people's 'busyness' is another example of the same thing. It is unnecessary -it is busyness for it's own sake: designed to prevent people from experiencing and reflecting on their own loneliness.

They don't realise that the only way to overcome your own loneliness is not to deny it with mindless busyness, but to face up to it and deal with it.

By chatting.

It is so easy, but people don't see it.



The day when someone actually makes an announced visit, to my little room here in Campbelltown visit will be a very memorable day.

Come to think of it the day someone calls me on the phone will be memorable too.

There is a trickle of e-mails in response to my blog.Most of them a few lines.

But the day someone makes an unannounced visit to me the sky will be full of flying pigs all over Adelaide.

Unnecessary 'Busyness' can be just a form of denial and such people may not even know they are closed and unapproachable.

Unfortunately all of these busy souls make life very lonely for everyone else.

On the other hand, the African and Latin American, and to a lesser extent the more traditional Asian are naturally open.

If I were younger I would go back there.

I might try to anyway.

I feel like life is ebbing away from me here.

No comments:

Post a Comment